Friday, December 23, 2011

Sisters in Yarn!

Yesterday my husband and I were having lunch at the House of Blues at the West End at Disney.



We were sitting outside waiting for the musical entertainment to start when all of a sudden some women sat down at a table down the way from us. They pulled out knitting projects and started knitting. All three of them. Immediately I had to go and investigate.

I introduced myself and asked what they were working on. You just don't see people gathered outside knitting. I was so excited. Of course I had to tell them that I don't knit, I crochet. They replied that some of them crochet as well. I sat down and we started a conversation. They told me that they had all met on Raverly.com. I have signed up with Raverly.com many months ago and kinda forgot about it and they told me that I need to revisit it! That I will become addicted to the Forums. That is how they all met and they get together to work on projects. They convinced me to try knitting again. I have such trouble with keeping the stitches on the needles. The last time I tried it was probably over 5 years ago. I left them one of my cards so that they could read my blog and then we were off to continue our Christmas shopping. It was a really fun encounter. So girls, three Laura's and one Robin, I promise I will try to start learning to knit in the New Year. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Oh, one more thing, not to bring the conversation down, but I wanted to pay tribute to the woman who taught me to crochet, my mother. She passed away 26 years ago, on December 20. So to you Mom I owe a lifetime of creativity. I love you, miss you and will be forever grateful for all that you taught me.

My Father and Mother in their wedding picture. They were married on June 1, 1957. My mother was ahead of her times in that she had the lace on her shoulders and arms before the Duchess of Cornwall, (Kate!). I referenced this picture after the wedding and realized that they were very similar. Way to go mom!!!

I guess I never mentioned from the get go of this blog that I am totally obsessed with the Royal Wedding and the Royal Family. I set my alarm and slept on the couch and watched it live and made comments on Facebook all night. It was so fun and so amazing. Are there any others of your out there? I know you're out there!!! I need to develop a British Union Jack hat. Hmmmm......
By the way, my husband and I were out at Disney all day again and ended up sitting at the bar at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was 5:30pm and it was 78 degrees still. We were in shorts and he was sipping on a beer and me a Diet Coke. We were so excited because we moved back to Florida around 6 mos. ago and last year, in Michigan, we were in snow and ice. So cool!!!!

I had to have a nice cool treat. The go to item is always a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar. I always eat the chocolate off first and then eat the ice cream. Another popular way is to bite the ears right off first and foremost. A little too harsh for me! HA!

Okay, I'm off to finish my Christmas shopping. I have to get everything for my husband today and the last minute dinner items. My husband is studying to be a chef so he is cooking the entire Christmas meal.

Here's the menu:
Cranberry Viniagrette Salad with Candied Walnuts, Bacon infused Turkey Breast, Baby Carrots with Maple Glaze, Stuffing with Sausage, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Peas, Corn, Rolls and Pumpkin Cheesecake. Sounds good eh? I'll be his sous chef!!

Merry Christmas to all!

Crocheting Conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment